Scott City Police Department – Chief of Police
Chief of Police
Scott City Police Department
The City of Scott City, Kansas, estimated population 4,000, is seeking a new Chief of Police. Scott City is the county seat and only incorporated town in Scott County, estimated population 5,000. Located in western Kansas at the intersection of highways US83 and K96, Scott City is considered by many to be one of the most progressive communities in the western third of the state.
The Scott City Police Department is headquartered in the Scott County Law Enforcement Center, along with the Scott County Sheriff’s Department and Scott County Jail.
The Scott City Police Department is comprised of:
• Full-time Detective
• Four full-time Patrol Officers
• Full-time Public Service Officer (animal control, code enforcement)
• Five full-time and one part-time dispatchers
Under the direction of the Mayor and City Council, the Chief of Police is responsible for enforcing all federal and state laws, and city ordinances, and all operations of the Scott City Police Department. The Chief of Police also works in close coordination and cooperation with the Scott County Sheriff’s Department and the Scott City/County Attorney’s office to aid in law enforcement and criminal investigations throughout Scott County. Additionally, dispatching duties for all county-wide 911 services (police, sheriff, fire, EMS) are performed by SCPD dispatch staff.
The starting salary range is $60,000 – $75,000, depending on qualifications and experience.
Additionally, there is an excellent benefits package, including:
• Fully paid BC/BS family health and dental plan
• KPERS Retirement Plan
• Paid vacation and sick leave
The Police Chief must have:
• Well developed technical, analytical, interpersonal and communications skills.
• The ability to motivate and lead people, both as individuals and as a team.
• The ability to prepare and oversee the annual Police Department budget.
• The ability to perform well under pressure.
• The capability to meet deadlines.
• The ability to develop and maintain credibility and trust within the department, among city staff and the city council, the public, and other agencies on the local, state and federal level.
• Associates or bachelor’s degree in Police Science, Criminal Justice Administration, or a Law Enforcement related field is highly preferred. Other formal education backgrounds will be considered.
• A minimum of 10 years of law enforcement experience is required. Supervisory or administrative experience is preferred.
• Current KLETC certification or equivalent.
• Valid Kansas drivers’ license.
• No Brady/Giglio issues.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred but not required.
The successful candidate must pass a thorough background check and drug screening after an offer of employment has been made.
Residency within the city limits will be required within 60 days of employment.
Information for Obtaining an Application:
Please contact City Clerk Brenda Davis or Assistant City Clerk Ruth Becker at (620) 872-5322 to obtain an application packet.
Inquiries by email should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications will be reviewed as received and the position will remain open until filled.
The City of Scott City is an equal opportunity employer.